Indulge in the timeless comfort of Grandma Brown Beans recipe. This hearty dish is the perfect blend of simplicity and rich flavour. Follow our step-by-step guide from soaking to simmering.
Make cooking a pleasure with quick tips, swaps and FAQs. Freeze any leftovers for a later meal or serve with your favourite side dishes. Sign up for more home cooking recipes!
Welcome, food lovers! Today we are going to embark on a culinary journey to recreate a classic dish: Grandma’s Brown Beans. Not only does this hearty recipe promise a comforting meal, it is also a tribute to the timeless flavours that have graced family tables for generations.
Who is this Recipe For?
For anyone looking for the warmth of a home-cooked, nutritious meal, this Grandma Brown Beans recipe is for you. Whether you’re an experienced chef or a novice in the kitchen, the simplicity of this dish makes it accessible to everyone. These beans are perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. They offer a nostalgic taste that touches the soul.
Why it’s Great
What is so great about Grandma’s brown beans? It’s the perfect blend of simplicity and richness of flavour. The recipe makes use of simple ingredients to create a dish that’s not only delicious, but also packed full of nutrients. It’s also incredibly versatile. You can serve it as a main course, as a side dish or even as a topping on toast or rice.
Ingredients & Kitchen Equipment
- 2 cups dried brown beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ham hock for that smoky flavor
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Source – Allrecipes.com
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
Recipe Direction – Grandma Brown Beans Recipe
- Soak the beans: The first step is to soak the dried brown beans overnight. This step will ensure even cooking of the beans and reduce your overall cooking time.
- Sauté the flavours: In a large saucepan, sauté the finely chopped onion and minced garlic until they are golden brown. This will provide a flavourful base for the beans to cook on.
- Add the beans and ham hock: Drain the soaked beans. Add them to the pot with the ham hock. The ham hock will add a lovely smoky flavour to the dish.
- Season and simmer: Add smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well so that the flavours are incorporated. Allow the beans to simmer over a low heat until the beans are tender and the liquid has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the ham hock, shred the meat and stir it back into the beans when the beans are cooked to perfection. Serve the beans hot and enjoy the wholesome goodness.
Any recommended pairings?
These beans are a very versatile dish. Serve them with corn bread and rice, or just enjoy them on their own. Serve with a crispy green salad for a full dinner.
What’s the best way to reheat the beans?
Reheat on a low heat on the stove, adding a splash of broth or water to maintain the desired consistency.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Definitely! Grandma’s brown beans freeze very well. You can store them in an airtight container for up to three months.
So there you have it, a recipe straight from the heart of the family tradition. Share the love and joy of Grandma’s Brown Beans. Make a pot and share the recipe with your friends and family. For more delicious recipes that bring the warmth of home-cooked goodness to your table, don’t forget to sign up. Happy cooking!